.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday, Monday

I don't mind Mondays like most people do. To me, Monday is just another day; it always has been. So the only reason today was any big deal at all was that it was our first Monday as a home schooling family. And it was great. Well, it was good. I think I packed our day a little too full of academic "stuff" so I reaped the consequences of that at around 2 when Lil' Man was staring at me like I had 8 holes in my head. The good news? We just stopped. I like that about home schooling.

I introduced our vocabulary and cursive curricula today. Both boys are excited to learn cursive, but don't really want to practice, so that will be interesting. But they both really loved learning vocab words. The words weren't even that difficult or out-of-the-ordinary, but they liked using them in sentences, making a graphic organizer with each word, giving me examples and non-examples, and that kind of thing. I love when my kids love to learn.

The other thing that surprised me today was that they both enjoyed their writing curriculum. I told you I was little anxious about this one, but I had no need to be! We watched the DVD as the instructor explained how to do things and paused when we needed to pause and went into more detail when needed. This could be a sign of something good! This week, we're writing about sea snakes. Can life get any better for a boy?

Coffee Cup of the Day

About 3 years ago, we took a family vacation that none of us will ever forget. We went to DisneyWorld in Florida. Now, I am completely aware that some of y'all take amazing vacations every year (or more often, even) and DisneyWorld is not big thing to you. This is not the case for us. We are a single-income family, so a big vacation for us is not taken for granted (or taken yearly for that matter!). :stepping down from soapbox:

Anyway, the mug is from DisneyWorld's Animal Kingdom. I swear to you we must of gone on the safari ride 4 or 5 times. We were like little kids (2 of us were little kids, but whatever) on that thing. They have amazing real animals roaming like it's Africa or something! So when I look at this mug, I remember the looks on my boys' faces when they saw a lion or an elephant or a rhino. Yeah, it was that cool.

No comments: