.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Our First Day of Home Schooling

We started school on Wednesday. Today is Friday. I don't want to rip all my hair out today. This is a sign that it was a good first couple of days. I needed to have a good first couple of days in order to kind of bank them and draw from then when the days are rough and I actually DO want to rip my (or someone else's) hair out.

We had a very typical first day of school. We talked about why we're home schooling and what each of them hoped to learn about this year. Big Boy wants to learn about sports and U.S. History. Lil' Man hopes we do some music and sleep. No, seriously. He said he wants to spend every break he gets sleeping. God bless him.

I didn't take any pictures on our first day. The truth is that I forgot. I was so worked up and nervous that I completely forgot. But I have pictures of the area where we do most of our school. That has to count for something, right? I'll get better at pictures. I promise.

Our first day we did a lot of assessment. It helped me figure out where both boys are in spelling, math, grammar...you know, the usual stuff. Big Boy woke up first, ate breakfast, and we started right in with the spelling evaluation. Then he wrote in his journal and started to look through all of the materials we're using this year. He was so excited and I have to be honest. I almost cried watching him get pumped up about being able to learn about anyone in history he wants to.Lil' Man had to be woke. You aren't surprised at that, are you? I woke him at 9:15, he had breakfast and we started doing his spelling evaluation and journal work and then he looked through everything. Then he asked if we could do some math. So we did. And they both smiled the whole time. Please be aware that I realize we are in the honeymoon phase of home schooling, but I will take anything over the tears and frustration from one kid and boredom and frustration from the other. Like I said before, I'll take what I can get.

We also did a little world history. We'll do world history M, W, F and Big Boy does California history on T, Th when Lil' Man works on learning about communities.

Yesterday was the day I took pictures of the boys actually doing some work and the (much anticipated) coffee cup photo. We had a much fuller day (although the first day was nothing to cough at) and I learned that packing the day with no breaks is probably a very stupid (yeah, I said it) idea. The good news is that I figured it out before the inevitable revolt of two very hardworking boys. We added in some grammar and typing. That typing program has my kids cracking up and they've actually already done a great job learning the home row. Check it out! My only warning is that it is a BBC program, so the voice has a British accent. When he says, "Push it!" my kids thought he might've said something else that would get him in a heap o'trouble.

The coffee cup from yesterday was my very favorite coffee cup of all time. I bought it 2 years ago when the boys and I went to Idaho for one of my favorite cousin's surprise 30th party. I love that it's a little old looking and that it reminds me of the amazing week my kids had playing with their family in an area that God must've reached down and touched Himself. I loved Idaho. I love this cup.

No comments: